The podcast, hosted by comedian Kulap Vilaysack and journalist SuChin Pak, is the year-old network’s tenth series and its most humor-forward offering. Its tagline: Everything we buy and buy into.
11/17/20 — Lemonada Media has teamed with media personalities Kulap Vilaysack and SuChin Pak on Add to Cart, a culture show that’s a fun, subversive take on consumerism.
In Add to Cart, which airs each Tuesday, the friends—who met through an Asian American and Pacific Islander professional group for women in Hollywood—chat about which items they are adding to their proverbial shopping cart, and which ones they’re removing from it. The twist is that these items can be anything from products and entertainment to ideas and philosophies. Throughout the show, Pak and Vilaysack, who describe themselves as “your new favorite kooky Aunties,” have lively discussions about their selections and what those choices say about us personally, collectively, and culturally. The show’s launch coincides with shopping season, and is meant to provide a much-needed outlet for a challenging winter and holiday time.
Vilaysack is a writer-director and comedian best known as the co-host of the long-running podcast Who Charted, for directing the biographic-documentary Origin Story, as well as creating and show-running the TV comedy Bajillion Dollar Properties. Pak, meanwhile, is a veteran journalist who has hosted and reported news for ABC, NBC, Discovery Networks, Oxygen, and E!,. She was, most notably, the only female reporter for MTV News from 2001 to 2010.
“I am doing this podcast with SuChin Pak because she is an Asian American Icon,” says Vilaysack. “She is delightfully opinionated and effortlessly hilarious—and that is an unbeatable combo.”
“One of the most satisfying feelings in the world for me, is making Kulap fall out of her chair with silent, uncontrollable laughter. Thankfully, there’s a lot of it happening on this show,” Pak says, adding, “When you have an army of women running a company like Lemonada, it’s more than just entertainment, it’s a mission statement! I love that our show is part of a network that allows us to be the full, sometimes messy versions of ourselves.”
With Add to Cart, Lemonada will integrate podcasting with social media e-commerce. Several items featured on each week’s podcast will be integrated into the Add to Cart Instagram account, for a seamlessly shoppable experience for fans.
“I like to think of Add to Cart as an early holiday gift—a light, bubbly antidote to all the toxicity this year has thrown at you,” says Chief Creative Officer Stephanie Wittels Wachs. “Like some other Lemonada shows, this one will also have you crying. Only in this case, it’ll be from laughter.”
“This also marks a milestone for Lemonada,” adds CEO Jessica Cordova Kramer. “It’s our tenth show in just about a year. And we could not be more amped that our newest debut is a culture comedy with two indelible talents whom we’ve respected for years as pioneers in media. We’re also excited that this big-market podcast series features Asian-American talent. As many have noted, AAPI hosts are wildly underrepresented in the industry.”
Lemonada in the News:
- LA Times: “They lost their brothers to addiction. Now they’re tackling deadly stigmas head on, with humor”
- Yahoo Entertainment: Top Podcast Networks Go Virtual for Second Annual Upfront Tour
- Buzzfeed: This Healthcare Expert Would Appreciate if You Listened to Doctors About COVID-19
- Film Daily: ‘Last Day’ takes on addiction and death with a hint of comedy
- Vulture: The Rise of the Politician Podcast
- MinnPost: The podcast ‘Last Day’ aims to speak openly about often taboo subjects
Also on Lemonada’s Roster:
- Last Day: Season 2 of Lemonada’s critically acclaimed series takes a look at mental health and suicide. It’s mission: to confront, destigmatize, and search for solutions for these issues. [Listen Now]
- Our America with Julián Castro: A powerful look at how the American dream has been displaced by the American struggle—and how we can make a change. [Listen Now]
- In the Bubble with Andy Slavitt: This smart, entertaining take at life in a pandemic covers our day-to-day survival, testing/treatments/vaccines, and healthcare. [Listen Now]
- In Recovery: Dr. Nzinga Harrison is a physician who marries science with compassion while interacting with listeners confronting all types of addiction. [Listen Now]
- Tell Me What to Do with Jaime Primak Sullivan: The author/personality is hilariously voicey, emotional, and frequently TMI as she takes on any and all of your burning questions. [Listen Now]
- Good Kids: A compelling mix of perspectives on child-rearing (from parents and experts, authors and actors, to “good” kids themselves) come together in this all-hands-on-deck discussion about creating a better world. [Listen Now]
- The Untold Story: Policing: Hosted by actor Jay Ellis (Insecure, Top Gun: Maverick) and co-produced with Campaign Zero’s DeRay Mckesson, the limited-series takes a close look at police unions, no-knock raids, and effecting impactful change. [Listen Now]
Lemonada is a podcast network founded in 2019 by Jessica Cordova Kramer and Stephanie Wittels Wachs. The company’s podcasts share an unfiltered version of the human experience that, in a time of increasing polarization, is a place where people come together. Lemonada provides a robust advertising platform, one that is nonpartisan and deeply engaging, with uniquely amiable host-read ads. Lemonada is represented by Oren Rosenbaum at UTA.